Thursday, June 11, 2009

Graduation







Today was what I hope to be the first of many (at least four, preferrably five) graduation ceremonies for Ava.



This one was for the grand transition from Pre-School to Kindergarten. Never mind that she'll be going again tomorrow, same as usual!




Most likely, this will be the most enjoyable one...the graduates and their lower-level peers seranaded us with several songs, and as there were only about 15 graduates, the walk segment was pretty short, and followed by lunch! I imagine that elementary to middle school graduation will be punctuated by more angst and sullen scowling than song.




Ava was pretty excited, and also very distracted. Casey said he's going to start calling her "Fade" for her tendancy to sing a line or two, then stop, look around a bit, then sing another line or two. She had a tiny little solo during one of the songs, which she sang perfectly in the car on the way to school. However, her joy in being the center of attention seemed to have an effect on her memory, but she covered well, using that tried and true "I'm just a girl" shrug & smile routine. I'll have to work harder on subtly infusing her mind with a feminist world view. I'll start with angry letters to the producers of "Max & Ruby."




There was one (only one, surprisingly) little boy who cried throughout the ceremony, and continued to cry during lunch, etc. Casey and I asked what was wrong, and turns out his parents didn't come! I felt so bad for him! I know it's a ridiculous little thing, but neither one could come? I hope they were saving up vacation days for a grand trip to Disney or something. Poor little guy.

No comments: