Thursday, August 31, 2006

Crappy Camera


Ok, just a word of warning - avoid Casio cameras. After our beloved Cannon digital Elph died during Alicia's wedding, we decided we'd upgrade rather than repair. (We are Americans, you know.)

After much research, including the usually-spot-on Consumer Reports, I picked up a Casio Exlim 1000, a brand-new, 10 megapixel sub-compact camera that did everything we wanted and a lot more. The sales guy also reassured me that I could use the three week return period to allay my fears, as I hadn't really heard that much about Casios, one way or the other.

Well, I'm here to tell you - 10 mexapixels doesn't do you a darn bit of good if the camera won't take a clear picture, and distorts the heck out of the colors. (I think the techincal terms are "noise" and something that sounds like an anthropological term, but I can't remember it now) What use is it to blow up a blurry photo? (Also, huge file size, very slow to upload!)

So, I went to return said camera, and was seconds away from going nuclear with the returns desk, who had informed me I would receive store credit instead of a refund, when the manager actually stepped in and said he'd be happy to refund the money, based on what the clerk had told me. I was impressed. Good customer service is ridiculously rare these days.

In any case, we wound up going with another Cannon digital elph, and would recommend it to anyone. Thus ends today's public service announcement.

No comments: