Monday, July 27, 2009

20th Reunion weekend

Yep, I'm old. Or, as my dad so delicately put it when I told him I was going to my 2oth High School reunion, " Aw, Sh*t."

There was a bit of drama in the run up to this fabulous event - in the form of who, exactly, was going to come with me. In the end, Dear Husband was called into reluctant action, but was happy to be told his tour of duty would end when the open bar did.
Before the actual reunion, I had a little mini-reunion with Jen, Stacy and Lori at the Chalet. Frieda was working it that night, and plying us with more drinks than we really ought to have had. (She did reciprocate Katie and Tim's shout-out, BTW). We gals had a fantastic time chatting and catching up with Lori, who we hadn't seen in a while. We also had a sneek peek of Saturday in the form of some other Seaholmites who were also making the pilgrimage to the Chalet. Too much fun.

Friday night there was to be a bar night at Dick O'Dow's in B'ham, but where the mind might have been willing, the body definately was not. Aside from that, I generally try to make myself available to my child and husband for at least a couple of hours a week.

Saturday, I did get a happy surprise in that Stacy, at the last minute decided to go to the reunion. Casey tried to get a last minute reprive, but to no avail. Off we went to Birmingham.

I had a genuine blast. You forget how many people you know, sometimes, and how long some of these folks have known you. At least 5-10 of the folks I talked to have known me since I was 6. I was also really pleased to see how great everyone looked. Yeah, I know this statement is being met with huge guffaws, but truly. No, I'm not going all Melanie-Hamilton-Booth on you, I just figure it means I don't look so old either!! Probably my only regret is that I couldn't keep myself off of the dance floor. Not that I didn't enjoy dancing, or worried about being judged for my usually-over-enthusiastic gyrations, but because there were so many people I missed talking to...should have focused more on that. It was like my wedding - it went by so quickly that I was stunned when it was over. But, those of you who know me well understand that me passing up dancing when there's great music is a virtual impossibility for me. Depending on who's reading this, you'll all either be proud or ashamed of me, as I did manage to control myself enough to pass up on the invites to continue the party at 220. Had to drive myself home, after all.

Turns out that was a good idea, since I got pulled over about three blocks after leaving the parking lot. (Apparently, I missed a no-turn-on-red sign.) Thankfully, the ridiculously child-like cop let me off with a warning. (another reason to always fight your tickets people...if I'd had a record I'm sure I'd have gotten a ticket).

The other advantage of not partying too hard was that I could really enjoy going out to golf with Casey and Ava on Sunday. Still golfed horribly, but that's noting new or surprising!

No comments: