Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bad Livvy

Ok, I've been a very bad blogger.

As much as I enjoy reading the blogs of others, I've been terrible at updating my own, so apologies to anyone (left) who is irritated with my lack of dedication.

Many many things have happened since the last post. Mostly just the main stuff of life, like Ava's birthday party, a promotion, a couple of birthdays, but notably, I did lose my last grandma, Nana, who several of you will recognize more readily as "my crazy Nana," who passed away in March. Since she was well over 90, it wasn't a shock, and I know that she's happier now than she was in the home. (Nana felt medical care was a sign that you hadn't adequately cast that devil out of you). More shockingly, I also lost my Uncle John, in the same week, so Casey and I drove down to Arkansas to attend both funerals.

I now have serious misgivings about getting promoted, as it seems that each time I do, something really bad happens. Given the Michigan economy, though, I probably don't need to worry about it for a while!

We went to Ohiopyle PA with our friend (and outing organizer) in June. A full account of our trip is available on Sara's website, sarasjoberg.com. she's a far more faithful blogger than I, and accounts our felt-like-near-death experience very well. (Although she did minimize the pain of damp cigarettes, and the body thrashing that accounts for such a circumstance when said cigarettes are encased in a waterproof pelican case, supposedly waterproof up to 30m). The bruises are almost gone now, but next time we raft, I want a guide in the boat - no more winging it for me!

July, as always, is all about the birthdays in the Fox household. Every year, we talk about taking the week off to celebrate our birthdays and the anniversary of the day we met (the 16th, 17th and 18th, for those of you who could probably care less), but it never seems to happen. We did, however, take Casey's birthday off, and we went to Waterford Oaks, the local wave pool/water park with Ava. A good time was had by all, though it was so crowded, I thought the entire county must have shown up. Not a downside for Ava, of course, but a bit claustrophobic for Casey. I just had to fight of my more violent urges, and remind myself that smacking 15 year old hooligans is probably not the best idea in the world.

Now, I'm preparing to go to Japan again. Good news is that it's a great sign that things are going well in my career, as I'm invited to help determine Global HR policy for Jatco, but I'm really not looking forward to the sweltering heat that's been promised. (the 18 hour trek, including 14 hour non-stop flight is also not so palatable, but at least I get the frequent flier miles.)

I'm also looking forward to returning for another reason: TOGA!! My friend Jen is having a grown-up (is there such a thing) Toga party on the day I return from Japan. Casey and I are planning on going, although I do worry about a repeat of the last time I was up for 24 hours and decided to go out....for those of you who remember it, one minute I was up and talking, the next my head was on the table. At least this time, people will only need to shove me to the side - we're planning on spending the night there.

Finally, at the end of August, we're planning on going on a trip to the Outerbanks (NC). My cousin Brent is getting married there on the 31st, so we're dragging babysitters, in the form of Brett and Deanna down with us. Ava and their daughter Georgia are buddies, so we should all have a fantastic time. Just prey we don't get hurricaine weather!!

No comments: